September - October
- Begin locating online applications. All Texas public universities use ApplyTexasavailable at www.applytexas.org. Many private universities use the Common Application at www.commonapp.org. Check individual college websites for applications.
- Complete your Senior Brag Sheet in Naviance.
- Ask teachers if they are willing to write a recommendation for you. If they agree, go online to your Naviance account and request a recommendation. This can be found under the College Tab and Schools I Am Applying to.
- Review with your counselor your college choices.
- Take the October or November SAT Reasoning Test or ACT with writing component if needed.
- Register for the December SAT Subject Tests if needed.
- Request transcripts online through NAVIANCE a minimum of two weeks prior to application deadline.
- Work on your personal essay.
- Ask if any faculty members can review your work.
- Schedule any remaining campus visits and interviews.
- Submit early decision/early action applications. Most early deadlines are Nov. 1.
November - December
- Attend the LSA College Fair
- Make a chart with all requirements for each college or use one found in the Toolbox at http://usnews.com/organizer. Include deadlines for standardized test scores, transcripts, recommendations, applications, financial aid forms, etc. Be thorough! Record the date each item is submitted. Keep copies of all paperwork and correspondence.
- Complete all applications. Make copies of any paper applications that you submit.
- Note that housing applications are typically separate. Check with the admissions office of each college to determine the process to apply.
- Secure all financial aid forms. Begin compiling information.
January - February
- File FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) forms if applying for federal and/or state financial aid (fafsa.ed.gov). Link available on Family Connection.
- Give your counselor any forms requiring submission of senior mid-year grades.
March - May
- You’re on the home stretch! After you have received all college acceptance or rejection letters, notify the college that you decide to attend. Be sure to send the deposit
- Notify all other colleges to which you have been accepted.
- Complete the Graduation Survey online in NAVIANCE indicating your choice of college and any scholarships awarded.
- Take AP Tests in May and have scores reported to your college.
- Send thank you letters to the people who have assisted you.
Congratulations and best wishes in college!